As midwives, we believe that pregnancy and childbirth involve every aspect of you! Your feelings, hopes, fears, needs, and spiritual or religious beliefs can and will affect the way you feel during your pregnancy and birth. As midwives, we listen, care for, and tend to all of these.
We believe and trust in the normal, yet extraordinary, process of pregnancy and birth...While birth is a normal physiological process that a woman's body is designed for, it is also the most powerful and transformative time in a woman's life. It is an honor to support women and families during the natural process of birth, assisting when needed, and assuring the well-being of mom and baby- both physically and emotionally.
Midwives Model of Care
The Midwives Model of Care is based on the view that pregnancy and childbirth are normal life processes, not diseases. A Midwife is an expert in normal, healthy, low-risk birth, and through the Midwifery Model of Care, provides prenatal visits and personalized care throughout labor, birth, and after birth.
For many women, the hospital is not the only option for safe birth. Women are most likely to labor best in a place where they feel comfortable, safe, and uninterrupted, with an attendant whom they know and trust. For many women, this may be home or in a birth center.
Midwifery services include:
Schedule of Midwifery Care during your Pregnancy
- Complementary Interview - to find out if we are a good fit for one another
- Initial prenatal visit, including initial lab work, a review of the limitations and requirements of midwifery care, a review of your health and obstetrical history, discussion of risk assessment and candidacy for Out-Of-Hospital birth. Fetal heart beat can generally be heard between 8-12 weeks with the handheld Doppler.
- Prenatal visits every 3 weeks until 28 weeks, every two weeks until 36 weeks, a home visit at 36 weeks and then weekly visits from 36 weeks until your birth. These visits are generally 30-45 minutes long.
- Continued nutritional counseling
- Labs, testing, and ultrasound available as needed
- Optimal fetal positioning assessment
- Continuous labor support in your home or birth center when labor is well-established.
- Care during labor, birth, and early postpartum period until you and your baby are settled. After the birth, we stay with you for a minimum of 3-hours postpartum, to ensure mom and baby are well. We do a complete newborn exam and assessment as you eat your post-delivery meal.
- 24-hour postpartum visit done in the comfort of your home. Postpartum visits at 3-4 days, 2 weeks, and 4 weeks in our office.
- Ongoing phone and e-mail consultations and/or visits as needed
- Lactation support